Postal stationery, 2nd Republic
The introduction of postal stationery by the Second Republic matched the boom for postal services, the expansion of the railways and the development of a robust postal system. Briefkaarten (postal stationery cards) were produced by Enschedé. The 1d Vurtheim design appeared in 1885, followed in 1894 by the “wagon with shafts” design in ½d and 1d duties. In 1895, the “disselboom” designs replaced the “wagon with shafts” (illustrated), to which were added paid reply cards in ½d + ½d and 1d + 1d duties. The ½d and 1d duties were re-issued in 1896 to coincide the with the issue of the “bicolour” stamp design.
Postal stationery wrappers were issued in 1899, in ½d, 1d, 2d and 3d duties as were 4d registered envelopes (in five sizes). Double-sided ½d cards were printed for the ZAR railways in 1893, 1896 and 1897. In June 1900, following the fall of Pretoria, double-sided ½d Proclamatie cards were printed to announce the move of the ZAR government to Machadodorp, and a quantity of 1d duties were printed in July 1900 in Machadodorp itself.